Adoption Network Cleveland believes that every person has the right to make their own decisions -- in fact, one of our core values is Courage, defined as every individual's right to self-determination even at the risk of compromising mainstream acceptance. To ensure that individuals and families can make informed decisions, Adoption Network Cleveland provides an array of educational opportunities. It is our hope to remove the veil of secrecy that sometimes cloaks adoption, through the sharing of information, ideas, and perspectives.
Adoption Network Cleveland provides the following educational opportunities:
- For adult adoptees 18 years and older, we offer Adoptee Journeys, a series exploring issues related to growing up adopted.
- For people just thinking about adoption to form or expand their family, we offer Adoption 101: Where Do I Begin – an overview workshop that explores a full range of options—infant domestic, international or older youth adoptions.
- Adoptive families can take part in our monthly support and education group, and talk or meet with our Educational Liaison regarding school-related issues. Adoptive parents and their children ages 9-13 years of age can participate in Adoptive Family Parallel Groups: A Therapeutic Educational Series to help become aware of, recognize, understand the issues and challenges of adoptive families, and gain healthy strategies for their family. We also have several trainings through the year for adoptive parents through the Ohio Child Welfare Training Program and the Adoption Awareness Coalition.
- For College Students interested in social work, helping professions or lifelong adoption issues, consider taking part in our Adoption Network Cleveland's Scholars Program. Students from John Carroll University, please click here for your school specific program outline.
- For professionals, we offer Adoption Assessor Training, which is required of all social workers in foster care and adoption. We also collaborate with local adoption agencies through the Adoption Awareness Coalition to offer an annual workshop (typically in November) that focuses on key issues in adoption. We also provide Consulting Services for organizations that want to replicate our programs beyond Cuyahoga County and northeast Ohio.
- For the larger community, we have a Speaker’s Bureau made up of staff and volunteers, who are happy to speak about adoption-related topics in order to raise awareness and educates about adoption.
If you would like more information about any of these programs and services, please call us at (216) 325-1000 or contact us