Personalized Search & DNA Assistance & Membership
Requirements for Conducting A Search
Our organization has successfully helped thousands of adult adoptees, birth parents, siblings, and extended families find one another. Our assistance includes providing information on public records, search techniques, guidance, and emotional support throughout your search and beyond. Our services provide:
- Private, personalized consultation and guidance.
- Direction on navigating public and private organizations to obtain non-identifying information and legal documents.
- Utilization of information gathered from multiple reliable and safe paid subscription sites and resources and staff use expertise to interpret available information.
- Assistance with searches involving DNA including:
- Direction developing a testing plan to best utilize time, money, and available resource.
- How to understand the results.
- Insight into possible relationships based on shared DNA.
- Personalized guidance on how to make contact in a way that will improve the chances of a positive response.
- Coaching and support in making contact with found relatives.
- Personalized guidance and support post-reunion or completion of a search.
In order to get started with us in a search, we require a 1-year Search Membership ($100), which includes ongoing support and individualized search assistance. An optional Renewal Membership ($40/individual or $50/family) is also available for subsequent years.
We recognize that not everyone may be able to purchase or renew a membership at one of the set membership levels. We will not turn anyone away due to an inability to pay, so if you would like to purchase or renew a membership at a reduced rate, or if you have questions regarding paying for a membership, please contact Karen Wyman, Program Manager: Search, Adult Adoptees, Birth Family & DNA Discoveries. Karen can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Recommendations to Get Started
- Request your non-identifying information from the agency that handled your adoption. If you have trouble getting your information, we can help.
- Register with the International Soundex Reunion Registry at 888-886-ISSR or online at www.isrr.org.
- Adoptees request their original birth certificates by visiting the Ohio Department of Vital Statistics website to download the paperwork and instructions. If you are a birthparent you can file a Contact Preference Form to give your adult child direct contact information should they request their record.
- Attend at least two of our General Discussion Meetings in person or as a virtual participant.